[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jan 31 21:19:59 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 09:16:14PM -0800, David K. Gasaway wrote:
>I can't say why there is a vendor tag.  It would make more sense to me if that information was
>embeded into the encoded file (in a header or something).  The encoder version seems too
>important to place into a tag.  The tags are just a scratch-pad, and can be easily modified and/or
>removed at users' whims.  I wouldn't use the vendor tag as an excuse to add more metadata to
>the tags; YMMV.

The ENCODING tag fits goal # 1 of the standard, so its in.  If you want
to be pedantic, all the information in the tags should be "metadata",
and we shouldn't use the tags at all.

I too am one of those who would scribble encoding quality on my cd cover
if I had enough room.

Jonathan

http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-standard.txt

--
I am working to subvert from within ...
umm ...  by writing shoddy code ... and
charging too much. -- Colin, Aug 21, 2001