[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jan 31 07:33:31 PST 2002

"Peter G." wrote:
> Pah. IMO you're making this way to complicated. If your generic "dumb by
> laziness"-user do not care for examining the parameters (as they are at the
> moment) and variables used for encoding they will most likely care nothing
> for what a tag called ENCSETTINGS=-q 4,5 or ENCSETTINGS=-b 128 -m 32 -M 256
> mean. People who will care about a tag like this will also be the people
> who know what the "raw" values mean. Keep it simple  Leave the "nice
> presentation" for GUI-programs/plugins.

ENCSETTINGS or similar would be the most simple alternative that
contains all the interesting information, interesting to me, at least.
Every player can do what it wants with that tag, display it raw in some
"detailed information" panel or make something nice out of it or simply
don't care about it... Whatever, something like ENCSETTINGS or the
flowery ENCODED_USING stuff ... those are just ideas. Name them any way
you want, store and present their content any way you want, just store
all quality relevant parameters/data in them as that would be their
purpose.

The problem with something like ENCSETTINGS is that users who DO care
but haven't ever seen oggenc and its parameters, or even a command
prompt, won't get much out of it. If their favorite graphical frontend
uses terms like VBR and a quality percentage from 0-100% etc, they might
be lost. Does -q 4.5 mean 45% or 4.5%? All that isn't revealed without
looking at the oggenc help or its manpage. And I certainly do not want
to answer stupid questions like that, so why not prevent them when
possible.