[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Peter G. PeterNOSPAMPedal2100 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 31 03:03:37 PST 2002

At 09:47 31-01-02 +0100, you wrote:
>Alexander Poquet wrote:
> > QUALITY=<number>
> >
> > Hope some of you agree.
>
>I absolutely agree, although we don't "really" need a quality tag. The
>nominal bitrate already shows roughly what quality level has been used,
>e.g. 160032 (160kbps) for q5, 80kbps for q1, etcetc. More important than
>that is whether bitrate management has been used or not.
>
>I'd rather go for something like an ENCSETTINGS tag or whatever (let's
>fight over that for 2 months, please :) ) and put the quality related
>commandline parameters in that. (E.g. ENCSETTINGS=-b 96 -M 105,
>ENCSETTINGS=-q 3.45, ...) It shouldn't be too difficult for encoders
>with graphical interfaces to figure out what commandline would have been
>used.

SNIP

>In a second thought, I'd go for ENCSETTINGS myself - this would be the
>most flexible and easy solution. We don't have an 1.0 release, so
>ironing out all scary technical things for the dumb user market
>shouldn't be a top priority yet.
>

>Moritz

laziness"-user do not care for examining the parameters (as they are at the
moment) and variables used for encoding they will most likely care nothing
for what a tag called ENCSETTINGS=-q 4,5 or ENCSETTINGS=-b 128 -m 32 -M 256
mean. People who will care about a tag like this will also be the people
who know what the "raw" values mean. Keep it simple  Leave the "nice
presentation" for GUI-programs/plugins.

Adress is not munged.