[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jan 31 07:07:12 PST 2002

Burgwedel Friedrich wrote:
> > I'd rather go for something like an ENCSETTINGS tag or whatever (let's
> > fight over that for 2 months, please :) ) and put the quality related
> > commandline parameters in that.
> This may be encoder version specific -- you would have to include its
> version, too.

We always know what encoder and what version was used by looking at the
vendor string. E.g. Xiphsomething (libvorbis) and 20011231 for RC3. I'd
leave it up to 3rd parties to figure out how they want to handle it with
their 3rd party encoder - currently, all encoders use libvorbis and by
that settings that can be written as oggenc parameters.

> As the encoder evolves and more different command lines exist, this may get
> very messy.

Well, except for -q, -b, -m and -M there's not much more that could get
there. Something like --managed to enable the -b parameter would be out
of place, imo. Besides, if more quality related parameters become
invented, they really should get in there, too, as the whole point is to
see whether crappy sound is the setting's or the source's fault.

I find it pretty important, especially when RC4 will be out. If all you
store would be "-q 5" even when something was encoded using "-q 5 -M
170", you'd miss why this specific file doesn't sound as good as your
other -q 5 encoded files.

> > Another suggestion would be to make it very human readable, to let the
> > encoder puzzle together valid sentences. Stuff like that:
> What about something in-between? I would suggest XML; use tags for whatever

D'oh, I thought we were through with XML in Vorbis tags. Leave that to
the metadata stream.