[vorbis] Streaming content from BBC just stops

Karl O . Pinc kop at meme.com
Wed Jan 30 18:19:22 PST 2002

On 2002.01.30 16:54 Tim Hurman wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Jack Moffitt wrote:
>

> > > Am I out of luck because I don't have a high enough data rate,
> > > or what?
> >
> > It sounds like you are just too slow, or that the link between .uk and
> > you is too slow.   It could be either, or it could be both.
> >
> > You might tell them your stats, whether you can get the real stream on
> > the same connection at the same time, etc, so that they will know what
> > bitrates work and what don't.  That's half the point of this new test I
> > believe :)
> >
> > jack.
>
> We currently peer with a large amount of ISPs, so we have good
> connectivity to pretty much everywhere:
> http://support.bbc.co.uk/support/network/
> I presume your upstream provider is he.net, do they peer anywhere in that
> map?

Actually, my dial-up is connecting to algex which seems to connect with
your network at Mae-East.  It's 12 hops to ogg.bbc.co.uk, 6 to mae-east.

> Currently all the ogg streams are fed from one place, we are waiting on
> icecast to properly support splitting, although we are working on a hack
> ourselves. The best way to get better service is to email
> oggfeedback at bbc.co.uk
>
> with what you think, as with most companies, we are driven by management
> that follow public demand (apparently), so the more support the better.

Thanks.  Have sent my info and a traceroute to the BBC.

Is it xmms or ogg that determines when to kill the connection?  I find it
odd that data stops coming over the modem soon after the initial buffer
fills and the sound starts, and that no more data ever arrives.  I'd have
thought that it would try to re-sync and continue playing after losing a
few packets, so I'd get choppy sound if the data rate was a bit too slow.
I seem to get a buffer (128K) full of uninterrupted broadcast, and then
nothing.  I don't understand, is it just that it takes about as long to
fill my buffer as it does for my data to fall far enough behind the
broadcast
that the broadcaster decides to drop me?

It'd be nice if whatever was controlling/monitoring this "drop" process
on my end would
re-connect after being dropped.  I can envision receiving a large
e-mail and having my ogg bandwidth fall enough to be dropped.  It'd
be a hassle to have to manually re-connect each time this happens.
(Xmms gives me no clue what's going on.  It just sits there, silent.)

Just curious (and obviously clueless.)

Karl <kop at meme.com>