[vorbis] RC3: I'm impressed

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Jan 15 15:09:26 PST 2002

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 23:43, Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:
> On 15 Jan 2002, Hongl Lai wrote:
> > >
> > > Goodbye, portability. Hello, 5% speed increase. Probably not a good
> > > idea.
> >
> > #ifdef x86
> >   insert asm code here
> > #endif /* x86 */
> >
> > Hello, portability. Welcome, speed increase.
>
> Considering the rate at which processors get faster and cheaper, do you
> really think this is worth the hassle and time?

There is presently a noticable speed difference between the vorbis decoder
and the mp3 decoder in xmms on sub Duron/Celeron system, which I expect
people will use for things like dedicated jukeboxes at home, in the office
and in DIY car stereo systems. It really starts to matter if the same machine
is doing other CPU intensive tasks, like decoding several streams at once,
applying sound filters, displaying a video stream at the same time. A spot of
hand optimized assembly made a big difference to a lot of mp3 decoders, so
there's no reason to think it won't improve the vorbis decoder.

Of course, the point where you start to think about doing it is when you've
gotten as much as you can out of hand optimizing the C code and choosing the
right complier flags.

John