[vorbis] ReplayGain support for Vorbis

Erik Turner erik at turner.org
Tue Jan 15 10:42:37 PST 2002

I agree with storing everything as a FLAC.  I came to this
conclusion a few months back when I wanted to convert
my CD collection (which I had already ripped to MP3 using
EAC/LAME) to OggVorbis.  I had to extract all the CD
Audio *again*.  But this time, I kept the WAV (FLAC) files
so that if I need to convert to another format I won't incur
yet another rip pass.

Once I had decided to save the FLAC files, I couldn't see
the need for storing my music in OggVorbis format - the
FLAC files would be  a better source.

The only problem with ripping to FLAC is that EAC doesn't
support tagging FLAC's so I had to encode everything in
the filename.  And now, if FLAC's had replay gain, I would
be a happy camper.

On my "to do" list is building a server that converts the
FLAC files to properly tagged Ogg streams for playing
across slower data links.

My 2 cents,
Erik Turner