[vorbis] ReplayGain support for Vorbis

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Mon Jan 14 22:25:57 PST 2002

Kenneth Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 07:40:46PM -0700, volsung at asu.edu wrote:
> > No, unfortunately.  The ReplayGain information is stored in the Vorbis comment
> > header, which the FLAC substream does not use.
> Just to throw out a random idea ... wouldn't it be helpful to move the
> Vorbis comment header to a more generic comment-scribbing system that
> could be used for all Ogg codecs? It wouldn't have to necessarily move
> out of the stream it's currently in, or require any changes to the
> bitstream format at all if done right -- I'm just speaking from a
> we'll-need-it-for-a-bunch-of-things-so-reuse-the-code point of view.

Actually, I like it the way it is - replaygain, no matter how absolutely
great it is :D, makes only sense in Vorbis streams.

Example: I got an Ogg file that contains both an Ogg FLAC and an Ogg
Vorbis stream of the same song - let's say I decided that this is a
decent way of archiving my own tunes as I can easily pull out an already
encoded Vorbis stream or the FLAC for burning to CD or further
postproduction treatment. I wouldn't want replaygain to work on the FLAC
stream, as I need/want to listen to it the way it is, also in volume. I
want to be able to hear whether the FLAC stream might need some more
work or so, I don't want to have to globally en-/disable replaygain in
the players when switching from FLAC to Vorbis and back, and I don't
want one single replaygain value to screw up one of the both streams as
they might NOT be identical.