[vorbis] That pesky udial.wav again...

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Mon Jan 14 16:30:01 PST 2002

I finally got RC3 built on my home machine (had to sneakernet in a tarball of
libcurl to get it to build :-( ) and started testing it out on the range of
quality levels, side by side with lame using it's range of vbr quailty modes.

Overall, it sounds pretty good, but I haven't really tested a good range yet,
as I ended up starting on udial.wav... vorbis handles it ok up to quality 3,
but from 4 onwards (presumably a high frequency cutoff is removed) there are
very obvious artifacts, and they continue to be present all the way out to
10.0. Lame handles this a lot more gracefully - the sine sweep is cut of
until about V2 or 3 (but the hiss is still present), and it sounded pretty
close to the original at V0 (though I could still got 12/16 in an ABX test,
the difference was barely perceptable).

Now I _know_ that high frequency sine wave sweeps are a completely contrived
sample to test an audio codec with, but I'd hate to think that some idiot kid
on slashdot will end up badmouthing vorbis because it goes to pieces on a
sample like this. It would be a lot nicer if it failed to include the sweep
and didn't contain artifacts.

That said, fatboy.wav and hihat.wav where sounding pretty sweet most quality
levels. Nice work :-)

John