[vorbis] so whats next?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Jan 14 16:16:21 PST 2002

> rc3 is out and now that the dust has settled I'd like to know, whats
> coming around the corner for rc4?

RC4 will contain the full bitrate managmeent engine, meaning that it
will work for odd sample rates and mono files.  It will also allow a
little more flexibility like -q3 -M100 setting both a vbr quality mode
and a maximum threshold.  This should sound better than the current
-b100 -M100 type setup.  This really has little practical value for your
average user.

On the VBR side, lower sample rates will finally be completely tuned.
Meaning that when you encode at 32kbps and such, you'll be getting
_tuned_ audio and not just audio that sounds decent.  We'll put the
shine on those low bitrate apples :)

There will be a few minor API additions, nothing of importance really,
just more polish.

And I imagine the high bitrate modes will get a slight update, but
what's there now is basically what is going to ship for 1.0.

It's all polish at this point for the most part.  The goal is to ship
RC4, fix whatever bugs there are, and tag it 1.0.

Probably the only notable thing that will happen is some format docs
will get written finally :)

jack.