[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Sun Jan 13 12:26:14 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 02:51:48AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 05:31:01AM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> >On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 02:13:30AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> >>Yes.  When I have time I will be working on a freedb replacement.  For
> >>instance, freedb does not allow UTF-8 encoded strings...  Initially when
> >>people get tag info from ogg-db, it will be taken from freedb, but with
> >>some mild conversion done.  As users sniff in disgust and redo the tags
> >>and upload them (which software should make easy) the quality of the
> >>database will improve.
> >
> >Perhaps this should wait until the metadata stream is done.  If a
> >database is being stored, that would seem a better source (a
> >comprehensive metadata stream) than a loose tag format.  (Presumably,
> >one could derive most tags from metadata stream, but not vice-versa.)
>
> Musicbrainz is almost what we want in the way of metadata, but it is
> unfortunately ARTIST centric.  The standard is track centric.  I have no
> objection to tags being derived from Musicbrainz metadata, but when you
> have a database of ALL information about a track, how do you decide
> which is relevant, and put it in tags?  An unstated assumption of the
> standard is that you will use just enough tags to fulfill the goals of
> the standard, and no more, even though one might only use 2 or 3 tags
> out of a possible two dozen for a given track.

It doesn't do a whole lot more than tags; it's certainly not
comprehensive.  It's a useful reference for prior art, of course, but
I'd really not like to see it used directly.  (It doesn't appear to do
*any* of the useful language functions that have been discussed
recently: translation, translit, etc.)

--
Glenn Maynard