[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Sun Jan 13 02:51:48 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 05:31:01AM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 02:13:30AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>> Yes.  When I have time I will be working on a freedb replacement.  For
>> instance, freedb does not allow UTF-8 encoded strings...  Initially when
>> people get tag info from ogg-db, it will be taken from freedb, but with
>> some mild conversion done.  As users sniff in disgust and redo the tags
>> and upload them (which software should make easy) the quality of the
>> database will improve.
>
>Perhaps this should wait until the metadata stream is done.  If a
>database is being stored, that would seem a better source (a
>comprehensive metadata stream) than a loose tag format.  (Presumably,
>one could derive most tags from metadata stream, but not vice-versa.)

Musicbrainz is almost what we want in the way of metadata, but it is
unfortunately ARTIST centric.  The standard is track centric.  I have no
objection to tags being derived from Musicbrainz metadata, but when you
have a database of ALL information about a track, how do you decide
which is relevant, and put it in tags?  An unstated assumption of the
standard is that you will use just enough tags to fulfill the goals of
the standard, and no more, even though one might only use 2 or 3 tags
out of a possible two dozen for a given track.

Another problem with Musicbrainz is its version of DISCID. It makes it
harder to do fuzzy matches.  Someone on #vorbis has a much better
solution that involves extending the precision of the current cddbid
algorithm to its maximum, preserving the good fuzzy match properties of
the disc id.

It'll be easier for me to whip up a frontend to freedb, than to try and
get Musicbrainz to change, as it is already in production.

Jonathan