[vorbis] Removing Vorbis tags

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Fri Jan 11 20:20:10 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:20:33PM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> But then I can't use sed/bash/perl etc to manage the tag data - I need
> some extra program that's certainly not as flexible as these.  Now that
> I can remove tags I think I'll be ok.

What's wrong with using vorbiscomment and sed/bash/perl? Just about
everything I would probably do as far as managing a collection with
shell utilities will actually be easier with tags, since the parser
doesn't have to be as complicated (you can vorbiscomment file.ogg |
grep -i artist | cut -d = -f 2- and immediately get the artist,
instead of having to try to splice it out of a file name). Tags can
also have forward slashes, which I have sometimes wanted to use in
names but couldn't because of the necessity of writing to a filesystem
where / is special (Windows users will have problems with slash as
well as colon, etc. -- enough of a problem that it can become in fact
nearly impossible (clever trickery eventually got it off) to delete a
file with such characters if it was copied from a Linux box to NT or
XP).

Anyway, if you come up with a good filing system with shell please
share it with the list. I have a small (only a few GB) and easily
manageable collection at the moment, but if it grows appreciably I'm
going to have to tackle this exact same problem, and I'm sure many
others will also.

best luck,

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>