[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Fri Jan 11 12:38:37 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:56:01AM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > Understanding the time-to-market vs. the perfect product argument is
> > important, and not too difficult.  Most companies who strive to put out
> > the "perfect product" don't exist long because their competitors have
> > released something that, while it may not be defect-free or as fast, is
> > making money.  They can then revise and improve their product, so the next
> > release is better/faster/etc.  If you never get your product out the door,
> > you lose market share and everything that goes along with it.
>
> We have several products out the door.  You can go to CompUSA or BestBuy
> and pick up five or six boxes that have vorbis inside.

Um, I don't mean to heckle, but how does this make any sense when, one
paragraph later you say:

> The only thing we're missing out on is hardware companies, and we've been
> able to convince them that since they are only interested in decoders,
> it's time for them to get started.

And then an email later:

> No hardware I know of ships Ogg in the box yet.  We're working on it.

I'm not trying to me mean.  I just wanna know if I can walk into a BestBuy
and get a box with Vobis Inside.  Cause if I can I'm gonna go down to the
local shop and lay me down a few hundred bucks!

Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com