[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

rob1 at rekl.yi.org rob1 at rekl.yi.org
Fri Jan 11 11:50:23 PST 2002

> So you're complaining about the version number being < 1.0? That seems
> silly.

Having a version number < 1.0 implies to me (and I think the general
population) that this software is not ready for public use.  If it was
ready for public use, then it would be called 1.0.  Unless the version
numbering precendent is different for this software.  When Jim-Bob sees a
"released" version, he'll be more confident in using it than a
"still-in-development" version.  He doesn't read this mail list;  he
doesn't care that some part of the suite is "completed" (decoder);  he
just sees that the "vorbis" encoder/decoder suite is "still in
development", which he's not interested in using because he's not a
developer.

> True, but Vorbis is not suffering from never-ending feature-creep. The
> developers have a specific set of goals, which I don't think has changed
> significantly in some time. They want 1.0 to meet all these goals so
> that when it comes out, there will be a very compelling argument that it
> really is better than MP3 (higher quality, more flexible, support for a
> wider range of sources, multiple-channel support, etc.).

Sure, I believe that it will be better than MP3 when it comes out.
However, the original topic was something like "How can we get more people
to use vorbis".  My basic belief is that people are less likely to use
something which is "in development" because of their fear that it will
either not work right or something significant will change when it is
"released", which will require them to, in this case, re-encode all of
their songs.  If they choose to not upgrade to the "released" version, and
their buddy get the released version or some commercial product is based
on the "released" version, suddenly all of their already-encoded files are
not sharable/usable outside of their environment.  Plus, they can't use
anything their buddy gives them which was encoded with the "released"
version.

I'm not saying this is reality in the case of vorbis, but this is their
perception.  Sure, you can change their perception, but it may take a
while.