[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

rob1 at rekl.yi.org rob1 at rekl.yi.org
Fri Jan 11 10:37:23 PST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Victoria E. Lease wrote:

> Do mp3 users do this same thing, re: LAME? I think LAME is still
> making encoding quality improvements (albeit not as drastically in
> the past), and I know people who are using it to encode all of their
> music in this "mp3" file format for which an optimal encoder has
> yet to be produced... ;)

Huh?  It's good that LAME is still making encoding quality improvements.
And it's -released- software.

If you want to talk about other software which is changed after it's
released, let's talk about..  well, let's talk about every software
program out there.  That's what I was talking about in my last post:
"released" does not mean "completely finished, never making another change
again."  The nature of software (and most products) is that when it's
released, it's usable.  It may not be optimal or all-encompassing, but for
that major version, you can count on the interface/format being
consistent, the user can adequately use the product for it intened
purpose, etc.

Understanding the time-to-market vs. the perfect product argument is
important, and not too difficult.  Most companies who strive to put out
the "perfect product" don't exist long because their competitors have
released something that, while it may not be defect-free or as fast, is
making money.  They can then revise and improve their product, so the next
release is better/faster/etc.  If you never get your product out the door,
you lose market share and everything that goes along with it.