[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

EdB edb at earthling.net
Fri Jan 11 09:35:23 PST 2002

rob1 at rekl.yi.org wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, fungus wrote:
>
>>I thought the file format (and decoder) was now finalized
>>and it was only the encoder which was being tweaked.
>>
>Right.  That's why I'm not encoding any of my music using Ogg.  If the
>encoder is not "done", any encoding I do now will probably be repeated
>later when everything is "tweaked", since it will sound better (in
>theory).  Plus, until the whole suite is considered "released", things may
>change, like file format, etc.  (I know the goal is to keep the file
>format consistent and no decoder changes, but it's not guaranteed.)  If
>the format is set-in-stone, call it and the decoder 1.0, and the encoder
>1.0rcX.  That way, everybody will know the true state of development.

Same here.  I started converting my CD collection in RC2, only to find
RC3 was "soon to be released."

Now we have RC3... so I'll just wait for 1.0 before I encode and share.

And I've stopped evangelizing OGG, too, until 1.0 is out.

Ciao for now,

--EdB  <edb at earthling.net>
http://www.geocities.com/endered