[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Thu Jan 10 12:32:57 PST 2002

Hongl Lai wrote:

 > I've been thinking about this... MP3 is so popular because
 > people can download music for free (and thus pirating music).

MP3 became popular because it was the only alternative
a couple of years ago.

 > I recommend Vorbis to everybody I know...

Forget arguing about quality because they'll only
think "mp3 sounds fine to me". If you tell them mp3
is bad quality then you're insulting them. Tell them
the files are much smaller, only mention quality if
they ask you about it and limit yourself to "of
course it is".

You could also tell them that a lot of streaming
services are switching to .ogg because it saves
them a lot of money. No licensing fees to pay and
because the files are smaller it saves them
bandwidth (which is expensive).

Smaller is also good if you've only got a 64Mb
flash card to store music. When hardware players
are more mature then manufacturers who want to
distinguish themselves from the pack will start
adding ogg support.

In short, Rome wasn't built in a day and trying
to force people to change will only gain you
enemies. People like to think they do things
because they decided to, not because somebody
told them to.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \