[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

Hongl Lai hongli at telekabel.nl
Thu Jan 10 12:32:09 PST 2002

Ogg Vorbis is still not known by the mainstream and not widely used
these days.
I've been thinking about this... MP3 is so popular because people can
download music for free (and thus pirating music).
I recommend Vorbis to everybody I know, but most of them refuse to even
try it because it's not popular (or because they are hardcore MP3
zealots), which results in a circle (little people use it because it's
not popular, but it will not get popular because little people use it).
Yet DivX 4.0 (which is only a marketing name, and has nothing to do with
the "old" DivX), gains popularity day by day, even though it wasn't not
used by anybody when it was first released.

Is the only way for Vorbis to become popular to promote it as a tool for
music piracy?
Of course I understand none of the developers want Vorbis to become
something like that.

Comments? Flames?