[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Tue Jan 8 21:14:38 PST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Victoria E. Lease wrote:
> [Dan Hollis]
> > In fact what I expect will happen is that everyone is simply going to
> > ignore the requirement for UTF-8 and they are just going to use their
> > local encodings instead. It *will* end up being a real mess. This has
> > happened numerous times with other standards where westerners tried to
> > force UTF-8. This has already happened with ID3. Don't make the same
> > mistake.
> Oggenc uses iconv to convert local encodings to UTF-8. If other
> encoders follow suit, then this mess will probably not happen.

That's what they said about ID3!

Everyone ignored it and just used local encodings instead. Noone uses
UTF-8, they all use EUC-TW, BIG5, SJIS, etc. Any program which wants to
display these has to guess (as does kterm, netscape, etc). And unless you
have got encoding tagging like RFC2047, you've got a real mess.

I'll say it again - if you *force* UTF-8 as the only encoding allowed,
everyone will just ignore you. Period. Just like everyone's ignoring me
now :-(

> Admittedly, I was a little dismayed to see that iso-8859-1 and
> iso-8859-2 were the only two local encodings supported. It wasn't
> too difficult for me to get euc-jp in there, though... but that
> is certainly not a task which all users are capable of doing. I
> should probably offer up some patches that squeeze more non-euro
> encodings in...

And JIS/SJIS/EUC-TW/BIG5/KOI8/etc... ;P

But really, if everyone is so hog wild about UTF-8, then
oggenc/vorbiscomment/etc had better be the poster boy for handling local
encodings -> UTF-8.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]