[vorbis] tool for listening tests

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Tue Jan 8 02:30:32 PST 2002

On 2002-01-08, Nicola Larosa wrote:

>  > Is this application pre-decompressing the mp3/wma/ogg inputs?  Don't
>  > forget that processor noise shows up on most internal soundcards, and
>  > the harder the processor works, the more noise.
>
> On my laptop, it looks like mouse movement and disk access cause most of the
> noise.

Yeah, after I bought a new cable for my headphones the mouse noise became
cleary hearable as clicks in the headphones (when souncard is quite or
playing zeros; most sounds mask it).  When I plug the streoe input
into this cable instead of headphones I can't hear it.

Even on the old cable, recording from an open-ended cable shows mouse
movements clearly in the recorded sound graph.  I could reverse-engineer
the protocol from times of the 1->0 and 0->1 transitions if I wanted to...
Of course that's not a wise thing to record ;)

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)