[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 7 06:08:31 PST 2002

On 2002-01-03, Craig Dickson wrote:

> Glenn Maynard wrote:
>
> > Some of us like having everything there is to know about our songs readily
> > available in the file.  It's nice to have standard names for them, even
> > for less-used fields, so we're not all making up names on our own just
> > because most people don't use them.  I have, in fact, wondered "who's
> > that guy in the background?"  Having the data there in the file would
> > have been great.  (I ended up Googling for it.)
>
> Let's think about this... you had a file for which you wanted some
> additional information. Presumably because you don't own the CD that it
> came from; you got the file off the net? So you're dependent on how much
> information someone else, quite likely not someone known to you

I want the tags for myself.  I somewhat disagree with Jonathans goals: I
think Monty's formualtion of "Like a note written on the CD" is better.
Note that these are good enough goals for a standard but not for the tags!
For me, I would write all this LYRICIST, COMPOSER, etc. info on the notes
(if I would be looking much on my CDs) and I would sometimes put there
some trivia!  If for this file, some trivia interests me, I would
definitely write it on the note, even if I'm not used to put such info on
most of the notes.

>[snip]

> Not to mention date formats; I am often
> at least momentarily confused on the Web when I see dates like "6 12
> 2001" and don't know whether 12 June or 6 December is intended. So
> logically, we'll need not only a language code for each tag, but also a
> national code; otherwise British and American dates will get confused,

Monty has clearly said that ISO 8601 should be used for all dates.  See
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html - it wins on all fronts.
Note that I'll personally sometimes use hebrew calendar dates (maybe with
a translation to gregorian) - no spec can cover all cases.  Tags are for
humans, never intended to be machine-parsable.  The Brithish/American date
isuue is a general cultural issue not specific to computers and it should
be sorted out in the real world.  I switched my life to ISO dates.

> to say nothing of the meaning of a song title like "Bumming a Fag",
> which would be perfectly innocent in the UK, but seriously risque in the
> USA without a helpful translation such as "Borrowing a Cigarette".

That's unsolvable - you want to understand the song itself anyway.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)