[vorbis] >Why not use OggDrop? Going for managed bitrates? Tagging?

Christopher Wise cwise at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Mon Jan 7 00:22:47 PST 2002

>Why not use OggDrop? Going for managed bitrates? Tagging?

>        If you really must know (and I don't think it matters) I use oggdrop because I want to
> encode a batch of files without requiring user intervention between each file, and because I do  lot of tagging.
>        Besides, I don't see how oggdrop is going to HELP me encode the entire CD to Ogg Vorbis. It's certainly much
> less automated than oggenc.

> SyP wrote:
>> It isn't necessary to encode the full CD at once, is it? You could do
>> well with multiple lines, like:
>> oggenc -N "01" -q 4 --artist="Dido" --title="Here With Me" --album="No Angel" -d "2001" -n "%%n %%t.ogg" track01.wav
>> oggenc -N "02" -q 4 --artist="Dido" --title="Hunter" --album="No Angel" -d "2001" -n "%%n %%t.ogg" track02.wav

>        That's a good idea, but it would increase the size of my batch file tremendously, because then I'd have to specify a pageful
> (a  pageful in the ogg info viewer, not batch file) of comments for EACH track, and that would be much more maintenance than
> working  with a single line.
>        It would be wonderful if DOS had some kind of escape character. Nice, simple, and elegant. But I guess those words don't
> really apply to DOS... (*shrug*)

I don't think an escape character would help, the limitation is in the length of the line that command.com can process.
(126 characters IIRC).

The solution I use is the dos FOR loop. e.g.
FOR %%1 IN (*.wav) DO oggenc -q 4 --artist="Dido"  --album="No Angel" -d "2001" %%1
The song titles are unique so there's no time saved by using a batch file; I do them after encoding.

If you want to got the multil-line route, you could use string constants, for example:

et sw=-q4 -n "%%n %%t.ogg"
set a="Dido"
set l="No Angel"
set y="2001"
set t1="Here With Me"
set t2="Hunter"
set t3="Don't Think Of Me"
oggenc track01.wav -N "01" --artist=%a% --album=%l% -d %y% %sw% --title=%t1%
oggenc track02.wav -N "02" --artist=%a% --album=%l% -d %y% %sw% --title=%t2%
oggenc track03.wav -N "03" --artist=%a% --album=%l% -d %y% %sw% --title=%t3%

It would make for a big batch file, but you would only have to edit the top half.

Otherwise you could try a more sophisticated command interperter such as 4dos or Cygwin's version of bash.

Chris Wise