[vorbis] quality settings

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Fri Jan 4 06:02:22 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:40:30AM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > Ok, now I'm really going to sound stupid...what are managed bitrates?
>
> Anything not vbr.  Ie, -b setting (or -M or -m) trigger managed
> bitrates.  -q is the control for VBR.
>
> managed bitrates are useful for streaming and other application were you
> need a deterministic bitrate.  VBR is better in the general case where
> you're mostly worried about playback (and probably lan based streaming).

do you mean there will be no point in streaming with VBR for low
bandwidth? does it makes/it will make sense to specify VBR of 24Kbit
with a max of 32Kbit or internet radios should simply use managed
bitrates?

thanks!

--
jaromil  ][   http://dyne.org   ][  GnuPG _key__id_
EDEE F1B9 DC92 76C0 6D46  D77A 58B0 82D6 (5B6E 6D97)