[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Jan 4 00:03:30 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:14:27PM +1000, Geoff Shang wrote:
>> I think in keeping with the spirit of tags in Ogg its better to say
>> ENSEMBLE=London Symphony Orchestra
>> instead of
>> PERFORMER=London Symphony Orchestra (orchestra)
>> which would require additional parsing.
>
>I don't understand why you need this.  Ensembles are performers.  surely
>you don't need your player to tell you that the London Symphony Orchestra
>is an orchestra, or even that it is an ensemble.  This should be
>self-evident.  Surely a set of performer tags, one specifying the
>performing group and the rest listing the various soloists will be easily
>understood.

Conductors are performers too.  Yet noone seems to object (strongly) to
having a separate CONDUCTOR tag.

The group is usually of more interest than individual performers
playing with them.  The concensus is that tags are for SIMPLE data which
should require no parsing at all.  If you want to tell winamp "display
the ensemble, but not performers", without an ENSEMBLE tag, you can't do
that.

It may be self evident to a human that the LSO is an ensemble, but making
the player software do special parsing on a PERFORMER tag to determine
"oh yeah, there is an ensemble in here, I should display it" is out.
That means an extra tag.

I've already stated that if you are confused about how to use the
ENSEMBLE tag its perfectly ok to use the PERFORMER tag for your own use.
But just as there are those of us that want CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER, and
ARRANGER tags, there are those of us that want an ENSEMBLE tag.

In the end, we don't NEED any tag.  The music should speak for itself,
right?  If you can tell me a good reason to get rid of tags like
CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER, and ARRANGER, then I will admit that ENSEMBLE
should be dropped as well.

Jonathan