[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Tuomo Latto djv at mbnet.fi
Thu Jan 3 16:04:21 PST 2002

At 17:02 03-01-2002 -0600, you wrote:
>At 16:38 1/3/2002, you wrote:
> >Of course, it won't help if you speak
> >neither Japanese nor English; I'm not sure how many translations Glenn
> >wants to put into a single file. Theoretically I suppose you could have
> >dozens, though in practice that just wouldn't happen. In fact, I doubt,
> >in practice, if you would often see more than one language, which is why
> >I think the whole idea of language blocks is silly.
>
>I don't know if my idea has been mentioned here yet, but perhaps we should
>add a single field that will represent a two-letter country digit... like
>"US" for U.S.A., "UK" for England", "RU" for Russia, "UA" for Ukraine, etc.
>Then the tags could be made in whatever language the ripper enjoys,
>provided that he sets the language tag correctly. Then there can be many
>third-party implementations to acquire the value of the language tag, then
>translate all other tag info into whatever language the listener prefers,
>perhaps via an external database. That translation and stuff, however, will
>be left to third-party programs -- not to Ogg Vorbis developers.
>
>That may work out quite nicely.

Not. I'd be pretty happy if people would stop using the word translate here.
(And besides country codes and languages do not really correlate that well.)

Translations should not be included - _transliterations_ however are a
completely
different thing. That is probably what is needed and that could be achieved by
overloading (as in Java) the title tag.
A standard should state something like this:
"If the tag value is not written in roman alphabet, an additional tag
contaning the
transliteration written in english set of alphabet should be placed as the
last one."

I'm sure someone knows how to say this better.
What I trying to say that the last tag of a kind should be a
transliteration of the
name written in english if a alphabet other than roman is used.
(And now let's all argue in what language the transliteration should be done..)

I don't know is how already overloaded tags (e.g. performer/artist,
whatever) should be handled. Any ideas?

>P.S. My public key has been added to wwwkeys.pgp.net, as per the request of
>someone else here... funny, it said that the key already existed on that
>server and the update has simply merged the new key data with the existing
>date.

I believe the point was that you should also remove the pgp key (over 15
lines!) from your signature as well...

Tuomo