[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jan 3 14:50:20 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:38:39PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
>Interestingly, it has been suggested in the past that a lot of the
>information you want to put in tags be stored in external databases. You
>don't seem to have found the argument terribly convincing, so you can
>hardly blame Glenn if he doesn't either.

The information I wanted to go in tags is just the information need to
fill the goals of the standard, as set out in the standard:

1) Identify a track so the listener knows what he is listening to.
2) Identify a track so the listener can purchase the piece of music.
3) Meet goals 1 and 2 without access to external data sources.

Goals 1 and 2 are not the same thing.  One could just put in the ISRC
tag, and TRACKNUMBER tag, and they might have satisfied goal 2, but not
goal 1 and 3.  ISRC data is NOT on the cover of most CD's, and I know
of no tools for extracting the ISRC from an audio CD yet.

Anyway.  Any information that isn't needed to meet the goals of the
standard is better off residing in an external database.  If we can
agree on such a database (possibly a descendant of FreeDB) then I would
add as another goal,

4) Identify the track for location in the external database that
   contains ALL POSSIBLE information about the track.

Jonathan