[vorbis] quality settings

Erik Fuller Phaedras at gmx.net
Thu Jan 3 14:41:40 PST 2002

ARGH! I am at a complete loss as to which OGG quality settings to use: 8?
10? 3?
I'd like to be able to listen to my primarily Rock oriented music on a
high-end system (though I don't own one - yet) without any noticeable sound
degradation, but I don't want to go total overkill with -q 10. With LAME, I at
least used to know 192 kbps with -q0 was a perfect size/quality proportion. I
can't seem to be able to choose with the OGG settings...heck, even -q 3 doesn't
really sound bad to me (on my Cambridge Soundworks speakers, the ones that
came with my SBLive).

Any suggestions as to which settings to use?

http://www.gmx.net