[vorbis] RC3?

Brian Olson locke at mac.com
Thu Jan 3 08:04:11 PST 2002

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 07:24  AM, Moritz Grimm wrote:

> EdB wrote:
>> How about the traditional fare that goes with MP3 bitrate descriptions?
>> Quality setting / Description:
>> 1 / Voice Grade
>> 2 /
>> 3 / FM radio
>> 4 /
>> 5 / Near CD
>> 6 /
>> 7 / Audiophile
>
> That won't work since Vorbis is simply better than that. Quality 1 to 3
> is already what the common public regards as "near CD quality".
> Displaying the nominal bitrate next to the q setting, stating that this
> is just a rough estimate and those settings are quality related and
> actually don't really care about bitrates. (Example: I am currently
> encoding two Photek albums at q 5 with resulting bitrates of 125 to 150
> kbps, although q 5 has the nominal bitrate of 160kbps.)

I disagree and think EdB's scale is accurate. Maybe I'd count 6 as
audiophile, but I can hear the difference between 5 and 6. 3 has a lot
of obvious artifacts on what I've been testing lately (nine inch nails:
the downward spiral). Because of that I wouldn't count 3 as "near cd". 4
has some, 5 is very good and 6 seems flawless.

[insert clever signoff here]
Brian Olson http://bolson.org/