[vorbis] RC3?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jan 3 07:24:47 PST 2002

EdB wrote:
> How about the traditional fare that goes with MP3 bitrate descriptions?
> Quality setting / Description:
> 1 / Voice Grade
> 2 /
> 3 / FM radio
> 4 /
> 5 / Near CD
> 6 /
> 7 / Audiophile

That won't work since Vorbis is simply better than that. Quality 1 to 3
is already what the common public regards as "near CD quality".
Displaying the nominal bitrate next to the q setting, stating that this
is just a rough estimate and those settings are quality related and
actually don't really care about bitrates. (Example: I am currently
encoding two Photek albums at q 5 with resulting bitrates of 125 to 150
kbps, although q 5 has the nominal bitrate of 160kbps.)

Apart from that, the quality settings go from 0 to 10.

P.S.: This reminds me of something rather unrelated - some stubborn
people insist on CBR being better than true VBR in terms of both size
and quality (e.g. 192kbps CBR MP3 being better than Ogg RC3 @ -q 6).
This is hilarious, imo, but this seems to be deeply rooted in their
minds. Arguments like "just listen, goddamnit" or "why waste bits on
easy to encode stuff while not having enough bits for the difficult
stuff" don't work. (Btw, i wasn't that rude, and I showed quite some
patience dealing with those, but even that didn't help :) ) Any more
arguments out there I could pass on? ;)