[vorbis] Happy New Year! RC3 Released!

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 21:05:48 PST 2002

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> Bitrate management only works for stereo 44.1kHz 16bit files.  VBR modes
> are tuned for 44.1kHz but will work on any input.

So what about encoding mono (i.e. truly single-channel) 16-bit 44.1 kHz
.wav files? If I want such a file to have the same quality as a stereo
file, do I use the same -q value, or cut it by half, or what?

Btw, I observe that RC3 oggenc default to -q 3.0 if no quality or ABR
value is specified. Why is this the default? Is it meant to be "good
enough for the average listener on average equipment", or "similar in
size or quality to a LAME-encoded 128kBs MP3 file"?

Craig