[vorbis] RC3?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Jan 2 16:23:23 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:07:47PM -0100, fungus wrote:
> Monty wrote:
>

> >Well, we need to find some subtle way to dicourage people from using
> >ABR.  The masses will immediately latch onto 'bitrate' settings
> >because that's what they're used to in mp3, completely ignoring the
> >fact that quality settings will *always* produce a higher quality file
> >for the same given size.  Just putting it in the manual isn't enough,
> >most folks couldn't care less about documentation....
> >

> Then simply don't give them the option.
>
> Make the bitrate selection menu look like this:
>
> "Quality 1  (equivalent quality to to 128kbs mp3)"

The wording needs to be worked on, because the above isn't really
treu.  The output will neither match the asked bitrate generally (and
sometimes it will differ by alot) nor will the quality really be
comparable to mp3.  No matter what we do here, either the newbies will
get confused, or the purists will scream bloody murder.

This is not to say that doing nothing is the right option either, just
that we need to think a bit first ;-) AFAIC, I lean toward doing
something very much like the above myself, and I don't think OggDrop
should be using anything but VBR.  Simple tools should only do simple
things and not provide the means for accidental injury by getting
overly clever.  Folks who need bitrate management should be using a
Hole Hawg (oggenc) and not a Black & Decker (OggDrop).

Monty