[vorbis] Oggdrop features (was: RC3)?

Peter G. PeterNOSPAMPedal2100 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 2 05:05:08 PST 2002

At 03:44 02-01-02 -0500, you wrote:

> > I'm an ungrateful pest who doesn't know what's he got until it's gone. Not
> > as soon as I got my RC3 (great job. Nice way to start the year) I have to
> > add to this. The Oggdrop slider needs a bit of more clear overview. How
> > about letting people type the quality setting. And having the choice to
> use
> > ABR setting instead would be nice too.
>
>Well, we need to find some subtle way to dicourage people from using
>ABR.  The masses will immediately latch onto 'bitrate' settings
>because that's what they're used to in mp3, completely ignoring the
>fact that quality settings will *always* produce a higher quality file
>for the same given size.  Just putting it in the manual isn't enough,
>most folks couldn't care less about documentation....
>
>Monty

thought was that there should be no sound-encoding switches missing in
Oggdrop, but now I'm not so sure

You have a very valid point. I think you're safe to assume that the
majority of  "new" people who will start by using Oggdrop and immediately
discarding Oggenc are indeed not really interested in reading the manual.

Then I would just suggest (as everybody else) the slider being less
cluttered with fewer incremental marks and a value box showing the present
quality selected that also can be changed by typing the value directly
(slider adjusting to that value).

Maybe if  that value box could also be written as to accept certain
sound-encoding parameters. First and foremost it would just show the value
corresponding when a person moves the slider. Secondly people can type a
specific value instead of using the slider. And thirdly it would accept
parameters (going beyond the visual scope of the box) if a person
_specifically_ typed "-b xxx -m yyy -M zzz" in that box. If people doesn't
read the manual the last option wouldn't be clear to them.

Or you could just put an "about"-box saying "If you're using this you're a
newbie in the dark waiting to see the light. The prophet-program Oggdrop
has limited features compared to the glorious Oggenc. Read the scriptures
and learn to use that one instead. Hallelujah"

Ermmm...scratch the last suggestion! Too much coffee.

["And I don't even have a radio-station in Texas"}

Adress is not munged.