[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Feb 1 01:45:17 PST 2002

"Peter G." wrote:
> >The problem with something like ENCSETTINGS is that users who DO care
> >but haven't ever seen oggenc and its parameters, or even a command
> >prompt, won't get much out of it. If their favorite graphical frontend
> >uses terms like VBR and a quality percentage from 0-100% etc, they might
> >be lost. Does -q 4.5 mean 45% or 4.5%? All that isn't revealed without
> >looking at the oggenc help or its manpage. And I certainly do not want
> >to answer stupid questions like that, so why not prevent them when
> >possible.
> >
> >Moritz
>
> Which IMO also calls for a introductionary encoding-page on vorbis.com
> closely related to the FAQ.
>
> Besides, and maybe this is just me, but if I was interested in those values
> and saw a tag called ENCSETTINGS (Or some other self-explanatory name) I
> would do some searching on the web or usenet for a description of those
> values and why those were used.
> If a GUI uses self-named parameters then that GUI should also be able to
> translate that tag back to those self-named parameters.

> As you showed in your *shudder* example with the Windows VorbisMedia, this
> tag would make me search for what the Telephone sertting would be
> representative of. Would this setting be better than the Speech setting i
> had seen in another file and/or worse than the Acapella setting I had in a
> third file? The tag alone would not give me those answers unless I already
> knew what those settings meant.

Well, I don't think the job of such a tag was to explain the world what
each and every encoder's parameters mean. Something like -q 4.5 also
doesn't tell you from where to where the scale goes. I had this idea of
putting big sentences in a tag, but I don't want that any more now -
such a comprehensive tag wouldn't scale to 3rd party encoders and can
only be in English. In your case, I'd search for the 3rd party's
website, check out their software if it was more or less free, etc. If
I'm really interested in that information, I can do that little
google'ing.

In order to let people find that info for libvorbis encoded files, such
an encoding FAQ you mention would be very useful.