[vorbis] file(1) support for Ogg and Ogg/Vorbis

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Mon Feb 18 15:11:59 PST 2002

Beni Cherniavksy (cben at techunix.technion.ac.il) wrote:
> On 2002-02-06, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > Interesting... Magdir/vorbis is not included in the toplevel Makefile.am,
> > so it's not used in the resulting Makefile, hence it's not in the magic
> > file.

> It is, at least I saw a `cat Magdir/[a-z]* > magic' (IIRC) line in the
> makefile.

That line appears in Makefile.std which is not used if you ./configure it.
The debian/rules file uses ./configure (which is normal) so that line is
never executed.

The magic_FRAGMENTS definition in the toplevel Makefile.am lists dozens
of individual files from the Magdir directory, but vorbis is not one of
the files listed.  Makefile.am is read by automake to produce Makefile.in
(before the tarball is released), and Makefile.in is read by ./configure
to create the toplevel Makefile.

The only time Makefile.std would be used is if you were to manually link
Makefile to Makefile.std, or use "make -f Makefile.std", instead of using
./configure.

> 20011217                (RC3 - oggenc, oggdrop)
> 20011231                (RC3 - BQoggdrop)
>
> I need confirmations for the dates of RC2 and up, especially the differing
> RC3 date - some explanations was posted previously but can someone explain
> them better?  Is there any difference in the output or should both be
> regarded as official RC3 dates?

I have Ogg files with both datestamps in them.  As far as I know, both
20011217 and 20011231 are the same encoder library; the former was the
date when Monty merged all the RC3 vorbis changes into CVS, and the
latter was when RC3 was officially released.  There were vorbis-tools
changes in between those two dates, but I think vorbis was not modified
in any significant way.

Corrections are welcome, if I'm mistaken.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |