[vorbis] file(1) support for Ogg and Ogg/Vorbis

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Feb 18 03:58:33 PST 2002

On 2002-02-06, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Beni Cherniavksy (cben at techunix.technion.ac.il) wrote:
>
> > An extensive vorbis magic I wrote was sent to Christos Zoulas
> > <christos at astron.com> - the current magic maintainer, if you know
> > other magic databases (and their maintainers) tell me.
> >
> > It's already there in the last 3.37 version, maybe earlier ones too. Get
> > the source from
> >         ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file
> > (you will find the vorbis magic in the `magdir/vorbis' file).
>
> Interesting... Magdir/vorbis is not included in the toplevel Makefile.am,
> so it's not used in the resulting Makefile, hence it's not in the magic
> file.  That would explain why Debian unstable, which has file-3.37,
> does not use your enhanced vorbis magic file -- it never gets included
> in the build!

It is, at least I saw a `cat Magdir/[a-z]* > magic' (IIRC) line in the
makefile.

> Also, you need to delete the old entry from Magdir/audio or it gets used
> by default.

Confirmed, this is a real problem.

> /me contemplates sending a patch to the Debian BTS.  (But ideally one
> would have to add the post-RC1 library version strings first.)

Here are the dates as far as I know:

20000508                (beta1/2)
20001031                (beta3)
20010225                (beta4)
20010615                (RC1)
20010813                (RC2)
20010816 (gtune 1)      (RC2 - Garf tuned v1)
20011014 (GTune 2)      (RC2 - Garf tuned v2)
20011217                (RC3 - oggenc, oggdrop)
20011231                (RC3 - BQoggdrop)

The dates up to RC1 inclusive were already confirmed before.
I need confirmations for the dates of RC2 and up, especially the differing
RC3 date - some explanations was posted previously but can someone explain
them better?  Is there any difference in the output or should both be
regarded as official RC3 dates?

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)
Common Lisp is better than Common Source and
Open Source is better than Open Collector (YMMV).