[vorbis] file(1) support for Ogg and Ogg/Vorbis

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Mon Feb 18 18:30:27 PST 2002

For anyone who is interested: I have submitted a Debian wishlist "bug"
with a patch for the "file" package.  The patch makes file(1)'s output
for Ogg files look something like this:

$ file Tori\ Amos\ -\ I\ Don\'t\ Like\ Mondays.ogg
Tori Amos - I Don't Like Mondays.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, stereo, 44100 Hz, ~128000 kbps, created by: Xiphophorus libVorbis I 20010813 (RC2)

The patch is based on the discussions earlier in this thread, and some
input from Segher and Monty in IRC (thanks, guys!).

The Debian bug number is #134663 and the bug report can be seen at
<http://bugs.debian.org/134663>.  The patch is uuencoded therein.

Anyone attempting to apply this patch themselves should note that
automake should be installed, in order to propagate the Makefile.am
change to Makefile.in.

P.S.: Vorbis bug #161 was discovered during the testing of this patch. :-/

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |