[vorbis] Seeking in a saved stream; or, Why isn't that sucker valid?

Stephen Commiskey scommiskey at pharmacology.umsmed.edu
Mon Feb 11 12:53:07 PST 2002

I hope that this is the appropriate venue for this question.  If it's not, let me know and I'll take it elsewhere (perhaps vorbis-dev).

Saved streams are great - it lets this norteamericano get his fill of BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix.  Unfortunately, saved streams aren't seekable.  Running ogginfo on the stream data gives:

erial=1626603590
header_integrity=pass
vendor=Xiphophorus libVorbis I 20011231
version=0
channels=2
rate=44100
bitrate_upper=none
bitrate_nominal=128031
bitrate_lower=none
stream_integrity=fail
stream_truncated=true
header_integrity=fail

Reported length varies; Winamp seems to think this is 6653:18 in length, while most tools think it has zero length.

One would think that, seeing as the stream decodes nicely, it should be fairly simple to clean up the stream's headers so that it is possible to seek within the stream.  This would have the added benefit of making it possible to edit the stream in traditional editors.

Of course, I'm not a programmer, so I don't really know how difficult it would be to do this - just that it would be a bit beyond my skill.  (I did take some programming in college, but you don't want to see my output.)  I just wondered if anyone has already done this for their own benefit, or if anyone feels like picking it up as a project.  For listening to a 2+ hour stream, it's annoying to be forced to listen straight through - play or pause, nothing else.

And if this is a really simple topic that has been covered before, please forgive me.  I've Googled, I've asked a forum or two, and I've searched the archives of vorbis and vorbis-dev.  I've even read the documentation of the format to see if I could figure it out myself.  Unfortunately, I can't, so I hereby (rather unceremoniously) drop this in the laps of They Who Ought To Know These Things, in hopes that They have a brilliant bit of code for me.

Oh, and OS is irrelevant to the code, if you're so inclined.

TIA.