[vorbis] WinVC - Multiple file tag editor!

Peter G. PeterNOSPAMPedal2100 at gmx.net
Sun Feb 3 22:35:04 PST 2002

At 10:48 04-02-02 +0800, you wrote:

>Hello Peter,
>
>Sunday, February 03, 2002, 3:13:34 PM, you wrote:
>
>PG> Regarding various artists as Wilson made us aware of, I don't see a
>PG> problem. IIRC FreeDB.org (and EAC) uses the "standard" by having the
>PG> trackartist stored in the songtitle seperated by a slash as below.
>
>PG> Artist: Various Artists
>PG> Songtitle: Trackartist / Songtitle
>
>Uhm. *Some* CDs in Freedb use the above "Standard" but others use
>Songtitle / Trackartist or even Songtitle - trackartist (or some other
>such variant). I Currently use freedb to do the lookups and it's a
>pain in the butt, i basically have to resort to manual entry. (add
>to this the fact that practically no australian CDs are in there...)

*S* I understand your pain, because I share it too ;-)
I was just referring to the desired standard as stated in the FreeDB FAQ.

I just don't see the need for a new tag, when a trackartist could easily be
put into the songtitle tag in a somewhat consistent
manner

>also there are songs that have "/" in their names (and/or "-") (i.e.
>"Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream Of Love" by "Underworld") so you may have a
>problem there.

Yup. But when renaming from filename you either use "-" as a seperator (in
which case either a part of the tagged title may be discarded or not
regarding how the tagger/userdefined-pattern is set up) or you don't. If
you don't use "-" as a seperator, no problem.

For instance I have a tendency to name my files in the matter (All hail the
EAC naming/ripping sheme)

Artist - Album - Tracknumber - Songtitle (for ordinary albums)
Album - Tracknumber - Trackartist - Songtitle (For Various Artists)

Now when tagging MP3's from filenames with my preferred tagging-utility
(MPTagger), I have the ability utility to set up a pattern with the ability
to choose ocurrences of seperator and/or wildcards that should be
discarded. If seperators occur more times than I have specified then they
are ignored as seperators.

For a file named like this

Diles Mavid - An Unkind Kind Of Blues - 01 - So Whatcha Doing - Trombone
Jive - Paying Dues To The Blues
and a tagging scheme specified as <Artist> - <Album> - <Tracknumber> -
<Songtitle> it would interpret this as..

Artist: Diles Mavid
Album An Unkind Kind Of Blues
Tracknumber: 01
Songtitle: So Whatcha Doing - Trombone Jive - Paying Dues To The Blues

**Idea: For a vorbis-tagger a great option might even be the ability to set
up tagging-schemes letting the user name the tags and seperators**

So using a pattern like this on above filename
<Artist> - <Album> - <Tracknumber> - <Title> - <Cookie Recipe>

would tag the file with the tags below

*Tag* artist=Diles Mavid
*Tag* album=An Unkind Kind Of Blues
*Tag* tracknumber= 01
*Tag* title=So Whatcha Doing
*Tag* cookie recipe=Trombone Jive - Paying Dues To The Blues

**idea end**

Basically I don't really see the problem as long as the tagging-utility
leaves room for user-defined renaming/tagging patterns.

>- --
>Best regards,
>  Brendan                            mailto:reaper at post1.com

Adress is not munged.