Tag Standard Updated (Re: [vorbis] Quality & Tags)

Adam Piontek adam at damek.org
Fri Feb 1 10:03:12 PST 2002

--- Craig Dickson <crdic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I read #1 as "let the listener identify what he's
> listening to".  The
> > encoder settings used are just a property of the
> recording, just like
> > translations, lyrics, and so on.
>
> I think I actually agree with Jonathan on this one.
> If the vorbis file
> sounds poor, I would like to know if that's an
> inherent property of the
> original recording (or its CD mastering), or if it's
> because the vorbis
> file was encoded at an extremely low-fidelity
> setting, or with a
> third-party encoder that is known for its poor
> quality (think Xing's MP3

I'm a newbie to the list, but I'd still like to give
my opinion, if I may.  I think the above concept is
great - a standard, format-based way of telling how
and with what the audio was encoded.  Sounds
spectacular.  However, this should not be done with
user-editable tags.  It needs to be transparent, done
at the encoder level, and as unchangeable as possible.
 Otherwise, what's the point?  Anybody could go in and
edit it to be whatever they want.

It's like filesystem metadata.  The information about
the location and size of a file can't be altered; if
it is, the OS won't be able to find the file.  I think
this qualifies as that level of data - the encoder and
quality cannot change, so they shouldn't be able to.

The only way they could change is if you went back to
the source and re-encoded.

I suppose some numb-skulls will be going around
decoding oggs & mp3s & whatever and reencoding, a
viscious lossy cycle, and maybe then it would be nice
to have a comment explaining that "I recorded this
from an old tape, encoded it to mp3, then played that
and recorded the stream and encoded that to 64kb Ogg"

but the thing is, you can call anything a "standard"
if you want, but many many people are not going to use
it if it's optional.