Tag Standard Updated (Re: [vorbis] Quality & Tags)

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 09:25:54 PST 2002

begin  Glenn Maynard  quotation:

> > Thinking about the goals put forward for the tagging standard, adding an
> > ENCSETTINGS tag would clearly fulfill goal 1: Let the user know WHAT he
> > is listening to.
>
> I read #1 as "let the listener identify what he's listening to".  The
> encoder settings used are just a property of the recording, just like
> translations, lyrics, and so on.

I think I actually agree with Jonathan on this one. If the vorbis file
sounds poor, I would like to know if that's an inherent property of the
original recording (or its CD mastering), or if it's because the vorbis
file was encoded at an extremely low-fidelity setting, or with a
third-party encoder that is known for its poor quality (think Xing's MP3
encoder). I could probably guess based on observable bitrates or the
file size, but it's nice to be sure, so I'd like to know what tools were
used, and with what parameters. Of course, ideally this would apply to
the ripping tool as well as the encoder, but ripping is outside of
Vorbis's domain; we can hope that the user will supply that information,
but we can't automate it except in the case of a combined
ripper/encoder. (Hmm... Monty, can we hope for a version of cdparanoia
that writes .ogg files?)

Craig