Tag Standard Updated (Re: [vorbis] Quality & Tags)

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Sun Feb 3 17:21:09 PST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:03:12AM -0800, Adam Piontek wrote:
> I'm a newbie to the list, but I'd still like to give
> my opinion, if I may.  I think the above concept is
> great - a standard, format-based way of telling how
> and with what the audio was encoded.  Sounds
> spectacular.  However, this should not be done with
> user-editable tags.  It needs to be transparent, done
> at the encoder level, and as unchangeable as possible.
>  Otherwise, what's the point?  Anybody could go in and
> edit it to be whatever they want.

If it's in the data, and not inherent in the format, it's editable.
This isn't stuff protected by the OS itself (as FS metadata is), it's
user files, and if it's encoded, it can be changed.  You can't keep
people from lying if they really want to.

> The only way they could change is if you went back to
> the source and re-encoded.

Only if it's embedded in such a way that the way the data was encoded is
derived from the audio itself, which isn't the case.  If it's encoded as
a string anywhere in the file, even if it's not in a place normally
exposed by editors, people will be able to edit it.

> but the thing is, you can call anything a "standard"
> if you want, but many many people are not going to use
> it if it's optional.

If it's built into the encoders, done by default, it'll be used.

--
Glenn Maynard