[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Feb 1 03:01:23 PST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:43:30AM +0100, Moritz Grimm wrote:
>why certain tunes I get to hear sound so very bad. Here's an extreme
>example, with an imaginary standard-tag called "source":

I believe we already came to concensus on a "sourcemedia" tag.

>source=Vinyl
>source=US$ 6 microphone used to record from a grammophone
>ENCSETTINGS makes most/only sense when the encoded file doesn't go
>through any p2p network(s). It'd be there to classify the own music
>collection, and it might be useful for some advocating (look how good
>this sounds, and it's -q 2!). It might be an indirect hint on how good a

Some of us would like our advocating job made as easy as possible.
Thanks for pointing it out; I hadn't consciously realized the advocacy
angle was why I included it.

>The question is whether this information is valuable enough to make it a
>standard. If not, I suggest people who need it define it by themselves.

I think there are enough would-be advocates and blind testers that
standardizing this tag is a useful thing.  Yes, its like training
wheels; it may turn out to be unused in the long run, but for the next
couple years I anticipate it playing a significan role helping the
spread of Vorbis.

Jonathan