[vorbis] Quality & Tags

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Fri Feb 1 12:29:18 PST 2002

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> I think there are enough would-be advocates and blind testers that
> standardizing this tag is a useful thing.  Yes, its like training
> wheels; it may turn out to be unused in the long run, but for the next
> couple years I anticipate it playing a significan role helping the
> spread of Vorbis.

Unfortunately, I could see this tag having the opposite effect -
confusion and uncertainty that steers people *away* from Vorbis.  The
goal is admirable.  Hell, *I'd* like to know how an ogg was encoded, but
I've accepted that this information just isn't going to be available.
Anything that I ever *did* find in a tag, I wouldn't trust it unless it
came from a reliable source.  A "reliable source" being a friend that I
could ask, but if I'm going to ask him/her anyway...

I also wanted to point out the vobis/gcc bug that we've seen.  You could
have all the vorbis information possible (libvorbis version, oggenc
version, oggenc parameters), and none of that would give you *any clue*
why the ogg sounded like crap.

Are we going to store the architecture, OS and gcc version in there too?
  He he he.  This is fun!  :)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway