[vorbis] stupid cd player mod question

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Fri Dec 6 09:56:57 PST 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:20:49PM -0600, Stephen Commiskey wrote:
> Well, actually, my surname is CommiskEy, with an E, but...
> You can get motherboards with built-in audio.  They will, however,
> suffer from the same problems as internal sound cards (it's a noisy
> environment in a computer) and not have any advantages except size.  If
> you want a nice, clean signal, you're going to have to Faraday-cage it.
> Thus my condition that you have to have a separate Faraday cage for the
> DAC.

This is probably off-topic here, but for a competent engineer the RF noise
in a PC is not a big problem.  There are many pro-grade sound boards that
have the converters on a PCI card, and there's no metal shielding on the
board.  These boards often run 24bit/96kHz and get quite good S/N.  A
Faraday cage isn't needed, just good smart board design.  There will
always be an advantage to having analog stuff in its own shielded
environment, but it's only an issue if you need more than, say, 100db of
dynamic range.