[vorbis] stupid cd player mod question

Stephen Commiskey scommiskey at pharmacology.umsmed.edu
Thu Dec 5 21:20:49 PST 2002

Well, actually, my surname is CommiskEy, with an E, but...
You can get motherboards with built-in audio.  They will, however,
suffer from the same problems as internal sound cards (it's a noisy
environment in a computer) and not have any advantages except size.  If
you want a nice, clean signal, you're going to have to Faraday-cage it.
Thus my condition that you have to have a separate Faraday cage for the
DAC.

He wanted something that had a CD player's form factor and quality - but
he didn't specify that he had an all-digital amp (which would change the
situation seriously; if it were all digital, noise would not be a
problem).  That's why I suggested what I did.

-SWC

>>> djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk 12/05/02 17:16 PM >>>
I say:
Stephen Commisky said:
Enjoy.  Oh, and expect the sound to be really bad unless you create a
Faraday cage within the box for a nice, quiet DAC.
I say: would a simple PC box with a DOS player not do the job? eg mess
around with the boot options to automatically launch & play the DOS
player so u dont have to have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse connected,
just speakers to the soundcard (you can get these ridiculously tiny PCs
now)