[vorbis] stupid cd player mod question

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sat Dec 7 21:39:16 PST 2002

On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:20, Stephen Commiskey wrote:
> Well, actually, my surname is CommiskEy, with an E, but...
> You can get motherboards with built-in audio.  They will, however,
> suffer from the same problems as internal sound cards (it's a noisy
> environment in a computer) and not have any advantages except size.  If
> you want a nice, clean signal, you're going to have to Faraday-cage it.
> Thus my condition that you have to have a separate Faraday cage for the
> DAC.

This hasn't been the case for ages. Sure, ISA cards used to hiss like a cat,
but even the standard CMedia chipsets they put on motherboards these days has
a signal to noise ratio of about -80db - really:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/zoltrixpro6/index.html

The car itself probably has a noise floor 20db higher than that. I wouldn't
sweat it.

John