[vorbis] Is this just anti-Ogg FUD?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Dec 26 21:25:31 PST 2002

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 05:00:04PM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > [Ogg is not free from patents.] The entire concept of a phsychoacustical
> > model or a perceptual model for endcoding the material (not just the
> > encoding step itself) is covered under at least 50 different patents by
> > companies world wide, and rightfully so ...
>
> This is one point where your friend is correct.  AT&T started the
> research that lead to perceptual encoding over 50 years ago.

No, it started long before that.  The earliest papers I read in Vorbis
research were from the 1920s.

> methods used in Vorbis compression.  In fact, someone from Thompson
> Multimedia was at some point sure enough of that fact to discuss it in
> an interview.  I am not a patent lawyer - if you're concerned about
> this, you should contact an attorny.

It was Henri Linde, and he was mouthing off without knowing.  He
admitted as such in a later interview.  Thomson backed way off that
comment, but as we see above, only the original remark made any
impression.  No one read the retraction.

Monty