[vorbis] An intresting article

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sat Dec 21 18:47:44 PST 2002

The human ear has been artfully designed and carefully tuned to detect
the slightest movements of predators or characterize their
surroundings through the types of sounds they heard, and later to
recognize and reproduce the fine nuances in the sounds of others'
voices. Contrast this to the ear's experience at a rock concert.

Whether through the maze of processing in sound recording equipment,
arbitrary equalization, distortion, or even the discrete voltage
levels of digital processing, nearly all recorded sound is totally
unnatural. There is much more to sound than what you hear on the
surface, but it is on such surface that all "psychacoustic" judgements
are made.

I think that the article, while written in a somewhat confusing style,
makes a valid point. However, scientifically studying this problem may
prove difficult, if the problem truely exists and indeed is not masked
by the noise of other artificial causes. (Note how aural terminology
has entered the mainstream of language!)

Disk space is cheap. I'm doubling my quality level from now on.

having spoken thus,
Ken