[vorbis] An intresting article

Olaf Marzocchi olaf_lists at virgilio.it
Sun Dec 22 11:43:11 PST 2002

At 03.47 22/12/2002, you wrote:
>Whether through the maze of processing in sound recording equipment,
>arbitrary equalization, distortion, or even the discrete voltage
>levels of digital processing, nearly all recorded sound is totally
>unnatural.

I don't think so. If you know something about electrotechnology you know
that cables smooth line current. The small steps you could find in the
source there aren't anymore in the air.
Obviously, if you play dance or techno music, all the sound are unnatural.
Nothing can help.

>I think that the article, while written in a somewhat confusing style,
>makes a valid point. However, scientifically studying this problem may
>prove difficult, if the problem truely exists and indeed is not masked
>by the noise of other artificial causes. (Note how aural terminology
>has entered the mainstream of language!)
>
>Disk space is cheap. I'm doubling my quality level from now on.

Of course! :-)

Olaf

<olaf@ kjws.com> for every kind of mail, except spam! :-)